Pesquisar este blog

segunda-feira, 23 de junho de 2014

Cotyledons

This is what my basil seedling pot is looking like at the moment:


Pretty awesome, right?

I have read that these are not actually leaves but cotyledons, that is leaf-like structures which serve as food sources for the leaves as yet to grow. Indeed, their stalks are white and semi-transparent and look very delicate.



From what I am reading it seems that these cotlies need lots of light (min 12hours per day) so I have moved them towards the balcony. Weather is very mild here so I'm sure they can handle it.

Next step is to wait for these to grow taller and eventually whither away transforming themselves into the real basil stalk and real basil fragrant leaves. Or so I hope. Last I had read for transplantation to take place is when the real leaves would be at least 10 cm long and strong enough.

We'll wait...

On the other hand the rooting of mint leaves in the kitchen is going strong. I have read that I should wait until the roots are at least 1/2 inch long. So we'll wait another couple of days, perhaps I could transplant the basil and mint to their permanent pots together and thus save some more time.

Bye for now! Have a good start to your week wherever you are!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário